Saturday, January 24, 2004

Diablo Junction - 23 miles

Just me this morning. It was some of the thickest fog I'd ever seen. Visibility was down about 30 feet for most of the climb. At one point a car passed me going very slowly in the same direction I was going (up) and I watched the red tail lights disappear in front of me like some kind of Las Vegas magic show. The road was sloppy with crud and the fog was condensing on my helmet and rolling off over my sunglasses. It wasn't cold though so it turned out to be a very pleasurable ride. The fog got noticeably thinner around the Upper Ranch but visibility only got to about 100 feet.

Didn't see any other riders going up, saw one chunky guy in a blue "ITALIA" jersey who came up South Gate, visited the latrine and went back down, and then I saw a couple guys coming up as I was going back down North Gate. Descending was really spooky because I had to brake the entire way since I could barely see the side of the road let alone what was coming up.

What's this now, like 20 sloppy rides in a row?

Peter sent me an e-mail asking if I wanted to do Tierra Bella again this year - nice to have someone else do the planning once in a while!