Saturday, January 20, 2007

Diablo Juniper - 27 miles

Warmed up to about 40°F this morning by 8am. Rick, JB, and I rode like molasses in January going uphill. Didn't see any other riders until just before Chainbuster when a guy passed us up quickly. At the Junction he wasn't there so we figured he kept on going but later we saw him coming in behind us! He must have pulled off and hidden somewhere when we went by.

Then we went up Summit Road and it was a lot windier up there. The Mountain had a good dusting of snow last week and there were lots of places where they had spread salt on the road.


This is all the snow that's left.

Ooop, there's a little more.




JB and I turned around at Juniper but Rick went all the way up. Then he called to tell me the Upper Parking Lot was closed and the gates were shut at the Wall.

It was nice descending because it wasn't so cold. At the final curve I spun up my highest gear and got into a good tuck and was going fast when I noticed a shadow on my left and I figured it was JB, but it was some guy in a Galaxy Granola jersey. He was not tucked and still pedalling so I just pulled in behind him. I didn't want to make him nervous so I stayed back a couple bike lengths and still had plenty of draft back there. He kept on pedalling and I could tell he was wearing out so I knew I'd have no trouble coming around him at the dips. I've done this a hundred times with Rick but "this time, it's for real".

DIABLO SCOTT DUSTS GALAXY GRANOLA GUY


No comments: