Saturday, January 27, 2007

Junction in the fog and drizzle

It had been drizzling all night and the roads were wet and the skies were still dark. This was a ride for... Eddy, the Belgian Beast. His SPD pedals required my Cannondale MTB shoes so there was extra room for another pair of socks over my toes; an advantage in conditions like these.

I knew Rick wasn't coming so when JB got to the Gate we started up. The drizzle was just enough to be a little annoying, there was nearly no wind, and the visibility was very low because of the fog. Surely we'd be the only riders on the Mountain this morning. Not really that cold though - I even took off my gloves.

In a couple places when I was out of the saddle I got some rear tire slippage so I made a note to remember that for the way down.

At the Bump, next to Burma it looked like a tree had newly fallen - weren't these both standing last week?


The fog broke about 1,500 feet and the sun was out but it wasn't any warmer, and it was still drizzling, and it got kind of windy too; so the only advantage was better visibility.


We got passed by a couple cars but didn't see any other riders this morning, but there was one jogger closer to the bottom. At the Junction we did see a guy on a Colnago come up from the Easy Side and continue on up Summit - hats off to him! We decided it was a good day for a short ride so we bundled up and turned down.

No comments: