Saturday, June 17, 2023

2023 Diablo Day 27 - Saturday Morning Junction Turnout Pledge Ride #1

Before I get started - check this out. The Mount Diablo Cyclists are raising money for more bicycle turnouts on The Mountain.

Bike Turnouts

This involves a bequeathment from the legendary Joe Shami, donations from several sponsors, matching funds, and YOUR pledges. There are 45 turnouts already on The Mountain and we all know how much safer riding has been since then, and now we'd like to put in *another* 30-45 turnouts. So this website explains more details and accepts your gifts and *all* money goes to turnouts and turnouts only - no ranger raises or political candidates. And the Mount Diablo Cyclists organization will decide where to put them, starting with where they're needed the most. There's a time limit though... the campaign ends in October and they'll build as many turnouts as they have the money for.

I have pledged to donate $5 for every time I ride Diablo from today until the end of September; won't you join me?  Here's that link again - tell them Diablo Scott sent you.    Bike Turnouts




Today's ride was very nice - nice weather, nice people, I felt nice, and did a nice effort; I even made EVERY green light on the way to the Tire Poppers. At Junction, there was Colonel Al who was promoting the afore-mentioned bike turnout project.

I don't try to keep track of the "passed'em-passedme" ratio on rides any more... pretty much everybody passes me. But today I had passed TWO people on the way up and was feeling proud of myself when I saw two more guys at the last switchback before Junction so I lit up the afterburners and tried to boost my score up to FOUR, but one of the guys was on to me and he outsprinted both me and his buddy, so my score for today was THREE. Bonus - the sprinter guy had a 7-Eleven Eddy Merckx.









Not me! Not my bike!





No comments: