Saturday, July 22, 2023

Diablo Day 35 - Saturday Morning Junction. Turnout Pledge Ride #9.

The Mount Diablo Cyclists are fund raising for more bike turnouts! I have pledged to donate $5 for every time I ride Diablo until the end of September; won't you join me?  The State of California will MATCH our donations! Here's the link - tell them DiabloScott sent you.  

LINK->  Bike Turnouts

Got out early to beat the heat. There's a lot of cool in all that shade. I usually put SPF 55 sunscreen lotion on my face and ears, and spay-on SPF 30 everywhere else, but recently I also started carrying a little spray can of sunscreen in my jersey so I can reapply to my neck at Junction, because I've seen too many photos of skin cancer patients and I spent most of my youth being sunburned so I'm a high-risk dude.

Roadkill Report: skunk on Blackhawk Road... fresh and juicy, broiled medium well.

Lots of riders going early today - most of them were probably afternoon riders usually... people who exercise in the heat know how much of it they can handle.

At Junction there was a big tent of people recruiting for State Parks rangers - never seen that before... they were probably hiring for the less desirable locations though - like a bait and switch - I can't believe they'd have difficulty hiring somebody to live and work on The Mountain.

Well I put in a decent ride, talked to the Junction folks, and re-applied my sunscreen. Then home to watch the videos and blog about it. Remind me to check my chain... I was getting some funny shifting noises, probably time for a new one.














This runner said I was looking good, so I had to post her photo.

I posted this guy's photo just because I passed his boomer tuchus.


I talked to this guy for quite a while. He said he switched from cycling to hiking after too many calls home to be rescued after crashes and breakdowns.




     SKUNK     

No comments: