Saturday, June 01, 2019

2019 SMR 16

It's JUNE!

I just realized Strava has a blog-embed feature... not as cool as it could be.



Waiting at The Gate for JB and wondering what bike he'll show up on... and I get a text from him.  He had a flat near Treat Blvd, and he couldn't fix it and he was going to walk home.  So I decided I'd try something different and not stop at Junction.  I figured I'd stop for a short break when my camera battery needed to be swapped - usually they last somewhere between 1 and 2 hours, but I swap before they hit empty so I don't really know for sure and there was a chance I'd get all the way to Summit before that happened.  Well the answer was 90 minutes on the battery and I was half way up the Summit Wall... and I wasn't going to put my foot down there so I kept going.  I don't even remember the last time I summited without stopping - not that hard once you adjust your pace... and attitude.

There was some kind of Mount Diablo Discovery Day event going on, with signs for guided tours and such - I was surprised I hadn't heard of it before.  At The Summit I found Colonel Al who was there to promote the "77 Bike Turnout Project"... this is really cool - the 77 proposed turnouts have all been identified and designed and the project has been approved except for the funding and State Parks doesn't have the money so the group is requesting everybody write their California legislators to fund the project.  So please go check this out - you can see the plans, watch some videos about how well they work, and there's an example letter for you to send to the applicable politico.

https://mountdiablocyclists.org/bike-turnout-project/

And click on this link for the tab that gives links to the politician contact pages - apparently they'd rather not get e-mail. CONTACTS


A bunch of my old work buddies were doing the Ride Ataxia event in Davis today - I watched one of the promotional videos on that website and it was about the saddest thing I could've imagined.  Grab your Kleenex box before you click this:  https://youtu.be/iTAm8r5S6l4

OK - photos.










This guy gets the award for "most profuse perspirer".   It looked like he had a rain cloud under his helmet.








Check out the Summit Crowd (low-res for mercy)




No comments: