Wednesday, August 14, 2019

2019 WNR 22

We've been having a heat wave!  I have been in enough safety seminars and training sessions and heard enough stories to take heat injury very seriously, and I've been riding enough years to know how to manage my efforts in the heat... but not everybody gets it.

This happened last week, on August 3rd.  If you're looking for a helicopter ride, best to book a ticket with a tourist company instead of an emergency rescue.


Today I packed two frozen water bottles for the first trip up, and a 2.5-liter Camelbak full of ice for the second trip.  I didn't make it to The Church in time to do a full Junction for the first trip, so I turned around after Segment 3.  I wasn't sure if anyone else was coming but I didn't want someone to show up at 5:30 and be disappointed that I wasn't there to ride with them.  Yeah, it was hot, and I didn't see many other riders, but a few.  Back at The Church and no one else came so I donned Camelbak and departed.  

I determined to take a hit off the Camelbak about every 3 minutes - that way the fluid in the tube didn't get too hot and I would be sure to drink enough.  The Strawberry Lemonade MIO mix was a good choice.

Even when you're careful about not overdoing it, the heat kind of saps your strength so your muscles get more tired than you're used to.  Pumpkin Jay reported that it got cooler on Summit Road, but I was good and spent at Junction.  Saw JB coming up on his foldable as I started down, he must've been just a few minutes late to The Church.

Not sure how many WNRs are left this season, but I'm going to relish them.

This guy gave me the "you're crazy like me" salute.



Shady spot to turn around.

Yeah... no one else is coming.


I'm calling this 42C.




No comments: