Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Diablo Junction plus South Gate Road, 24 miles

Today’s company team: Me, Adam, Nicole, Tiffany, Cindy, and JB. Seems we can never all meet at the same time any more though for a group start. Adam and Cindy got tied up at work and JB forgot to pack his shorts so they all started late. It was hot today, but not as bad as last week.

Tiffany and Nicole and I did get started a few minutes before the Diablo Cyclist group got going. Tiffany quickly rode ahead of us looking like she’s getting stronger and faster and enjoying the semi-competitive nature of these Wednesday rides. I stayed with Nicole and rode slow until the DC group of about 12 rode along side us and then I merged in.

“Hey Scott! I tried to e-mail you but it bounced back as undeliverable. My name is Jay by the way.” It was Yellow Jacket Shorts! He explained that he’s had one knee surgery and expects another eventually (dog/bike crash) so that’s why he has the knee wrap – helps keep it stable. He also said he’s not a Yellow Jacket but just likes their club kit.

By the time we caught up to Tiffany there were four of us off the front already – me, Jay, Ricardo (talked to him a little last week too), and another guy I hadn’t seen before. I knew I wouldn’t last long with these guys but they were breathing hard so I thought I could hold on for a while. We were so far ahead by the time we got into the curvy section below the Bump that I couldn’t see any other riders behind us. I was glad I took a chance with the fast boys rather than dogging it with the next group back, but the charade was over now I accepted the honor of being “first dropped” from the lead group.

Looking up from above the Upper Ranch I could see them past Chainbuster and my time check told me I was about 3 minutes down. I packed two water bottles with lots of ice today and forced myself to drink even if I had to slow down – seemed to work because I finished pretty strong with a 39m29s even though I had started at Nicole speed. Cindy and Tiffany showed up after a while but I never did see Nicole (she flatted and turned around) or JB (rode home to get his shorts and started much later). Cindy looks like she really enjoys riding hard but she never wants to go any farther.

Tiffany and I joined about half the Diablo Cyclist group and went down South Gate Road. We got split up though and suddenly I found myself with just Jay in Danville so we two-manned it back to Walnut Creek on Danville Blvd and over to Countrywood on the trail.

No comments: