Saturday, September 02, 2006

Diablo Summit!

Had another flat this morning (rear of course) so I got a late start. Chased this guy in a white jersery for a while but caught him easily when the grade increased.


















Rick didn't wait for me and JB's on vacation so I did a solo ride to the Junction where Rick was waiting for me. Pretty uneventful 44 minute ride but it was a lot warmer than I thought it was going to be. It was cold when I got dressed so I was sweating all the way up in my tights and long sleeve jersey. Also saw a guy with a nice Quantum Race there.

The "ROAD CLOSED" sign on Summit Road was gone so Rick and I decided we had to ride it. There were a few sections of packed gravel that were completely rideable and there were still a lot of loose gravel rocks scattered around the other parts, but every inch above Juniper was brand new pavement. It even still stunk of hot asphalt but it sure was nice to ride on.

I took this shot from the west end of the Lower Parking Lot, you can see most of the wall and watch riders struggle up it from here.


















The parking lots didn't get repaved.


















Water is available at the Summit.

And on the way back down I got ANOTHER freakin flat - same rear tire but it wasn't a failed patch... probably some of that gravel in the lower part of Summit Road... worth it though. Rick had never seen anyone use a CO2 to fix a flat before and he was kind of surprised how fast it was. He said "That's it?" Had a great finishing sprint at the dips this morning too.



Not too many cars up here this morning.

.
.
..
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

No comments: