Saturday, January 06, 2007

Junction and Blackhawk - 37 miles

Timing was good this morning - I saw Rick's car turning onto Walnut from my red light on Ygnacio. We waited at the Gate for a few minutes but no one else showed up so it was just two of us. One guy in a bright rain jacket left about a minute before us so we had a good rabbit to chase.

We're both in the last days of bad colds so there was a lot of hacking going on.

There's that guy - looks like we might catch him. I did a hard effort up the Bump and through the Upper Washout and then eased up until Rick regrouped. That guy is still the same distance away now.

At the switchbacks I started to chase and made up maybe a little time on rain jacket guy but not enough to matter. At the Junction we compared times and we both had the same. He went down, Rick came in, and then a little later JB did too. He announced he didn't bring his motivation and Rick announced we were doing Blackhawk.

I ate my PowerBar and Rick ate a Gu. He noted that the package was 8 months past its pull date and he read the ingredients that sounded like a page from an Organic Chemistry lab assignment - Vanihexane? I joked that it was banned by WADA.

I descended SGR a little early and snapped these shots.




On Blackhawk Road I let JB set the pace but I sprinted up the hills. Out on La Gonda Rick was giving me a good run though... maybe I should Google for some Vanihexane.

No comments: