Saturday, September 08, 2007

Gate-Junction-Tire Poppers-Juntion-Gate

Just started rolling this morning and had to stop short when I passed Mark and Amy's house; a huge chunk of the giant oak tree in their front yard had fallen down. It was an amazing bit of luck that it didn't hit their house, car, or power lines. The fallen limb spanned from the trunk all the way across the street.


After the ride, Mark told me the tree guy said this thing was 300-400 years old. It's gonna have to come down now for sure.
OK, met up with JB and Rick at the Gate. It was pleasantly cool and the riding was great. Rick did a Challenge warm-up and I didn't see him again and JB dumped me too, but it was still nice.
Roadkill Observation: A squishy frog. I don't think I've ever seen a live frog on the Mountain, maybe they're born already squished in the middle of the road.
Dudley Driveby: 0824 hrs at the Lower Ranch.
At the Junction Rick wanted to Summit, JB wanted to do the Hole, so we decided on the Tire Poppers. As soon as we started down, we ran into a thick cloud of cold fog. It bothered JB more than me so I got to the turnaround earlier and gave myself a head start. One rider started chasing me but I managed to stay away. Rick caught me and I gave him a lead out but then went lactic.

Then I had a good sprint up the Dips.
I volunteered to be a ... volunteer, for the Diablo Challenge. Don't know what I'll be doing yet but I'm looking forward to it. Look for me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A beautiful tree, I'm sure they miss it!

Anonymous said...

Love your Klein pages. Just lost my favorite bike in the world to a Buick that ran a red light. Didn't realize how scarce the brand is becoming. If you'd like more photos, let me know. I have a shot of my 1995 Quantum II red and yellow before it met the Buick. (Let's all bow our heads for a moment of reflection.) Sincerely, T

Diablo Scott said...

Yeah! If you come back and see this, otherwise I don't have any way of getting in touch with an anonymous poster. There's an e-mail link for me up in the sidebar.

I'd like to have the serial number, size, and year (I know you already told me but for anybody else) for my database. I think it should be SS NNN YY NNN where SS is the size and YY is the year, the other numbers are probably a date code and sequence. They changed this scheme with the move to Wisconsin.

My Klein page says they only made the Quantum II in 1995 so that agrees with your message, and that it was offered only as a bare frame. And a good overall photo with closeups and text about the dropouts, fork, BB, and headset would be nice.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Scott! Your blog is just great, and I am enjoying reading it. You have some awesome pictures, and it looks like you have met some pretty neat people. It's great that you get to do what you love so often, and I love that your daughter is still sharing your enthusiasm.

Take Care,
Beka