Monday, October 20, 2014

Foxy Crash Update

I dismissed Diablo Wife's pleading to go to the ER Saturday night... figured I could get through the night and re-evaluate in the morning.

Sunday morning I couldn't move at all; pain was a lot worse.

Diablo Scott's angel of a spouse called the EMTs for me at 7:30am with a minimal number of "I told you so's".

Diablo neighbors expressed curiosity disguised as concern while they watched the paramedics load a miserable, mangled, middle-aged meat-sack into the ambulance.

Spent 9 hours in the ER at JMMH getting scanned and drugged and examined.  There were also a lot of questions about insurance, travelling to west Africa, and rating my pain level on 0-10 scale.

Dr. Leonard was my main case manager and he was great - went to UCDavis medical school and rode the Davis Double (!)... great bedside manager and smart as a whip.  His most memorable diagnostic remark:  "Well, you're obviously in misery..."  I don't know why, but that kind of confirmation from an authority seemed important to me.

Four broken ribs;  #4,5,6, and 7.  More confirmation.

They were kind of on the fence about admitting me... went over the pros and cons, but we decided together that if I could get off the bed and walk around a little bit that I could go home.  At 4:30 pm I did it... but just barely.  First time I'd been vertical in about 20 hours.

Next person who makes a crack about finding another sport to participate in... will be just one more guy who just doesn't get it.

2 comments:

Midland said...

My condolences on broken ribs. I promise not to make you laugh or sneeze for the next month.

Curtis Corlew said...

Wow. You must have still had crashers high when we saw you at lunch. You were hurting a bit, but seemed OK. I guess that's why I'm not a doctor. I sure hope you heal well and soon. Take care.
Oh, nice video.