Saturday, July 18, 2015

2015 SMR 25

On Diablo it was 70 degrees, on top of that a nice breeze.  Made the riding quite splendid and too quickly ended; I'll take more days just like this one please.

At the Summit I watched a rider do THREE repeats of the Wall - she started up just before me and got to the Upper Lot before I did and then while I was up there I saw her come up a second time and some guy shouted out to her "Once is not enough???" and she responded "Nope, and I'm doing one more"  She looked more like an outdoor fitness junkie than a classic cyclist, but wow.  Then she said riding up three times made her appreciate how easy it is to only do it once.









What's wrong with this photo?
Rider's face hidden to spare him the
 embarassment of being shamed on my blog.



And just for fun, from Wednesday's ride... because this was amazing...

Passed By Metcalf from Diablo Scott on Vimeo.


6 comments:

BenLoganBenLoganBenLogan said...

Being a roadie, and a snob I could probably tear that guy in the photo down a number of ways, but I guess you are referring to his cross-chain.

Curtis Corlew said...

Cross chain? Good eyes. I wondered if it was that he was going downhill when it's actually level there. Is one of these correct?

Diablo Scott said...

It was a rhetorical question - of COURSE it's the cross chain. Doesn't matter if he was going downhill or not. But this is the Upper Parking Lot at the Summit - I was just looking at my video clips after I got home and noticed this guy ride through the view and thought... "Fred! I hope your derailleur explodes... get some time on the bike."

Big D said...

Although it's not me in the pic, I will admit to cross chaining from time to time. To be fair, it only happens under the following circumstances:

1. my front derailleur isn't shifting right and I know it's going to be a pain to get back into the big ring

2. it's only going to be for a short period of time

I'm not proud...

Diablo Scott said...

Fair enough Big D. This guy has presumably just climbed The Summit Wall - I don't know anybody who does that in anything bigger than their smallest gear, so I can't believe this guy did it either - he probably was ready to head back down and just absent mindedly shifted the front first.

Big D said...

For what it's worth, if you ever snap a photo of me cross chaining I fully expect to be publicly shamed on your blog. If you can't do the time don't do the crime.