Tuesday, May 06, 2003


This week I've been riding my Eddy Merckx in to work. Today, less than 1/4 mile from the office my chain broke completely apart. I sort of expected it to happen because I had noticed a bad link and tried to repair it over the weekend, but it had been acting funny the last few rides so I was taking it easy. The outer plates of one link had started to pull away and I figure I damaged it when I installed the chain on a few months ago. Anyway I was just spinning up this little hill, trying not to put too much tension on the chain and POP it let loose. Went to Performance at lunch time and had the shop guy "Jim" put on a new Dura Ace chain for me. $10 labor $30 for the chain (they were out of the cheaper ones). Adam and I went halfsies on a big can of Accelerade - I'll write a review on it later, maybe use it on the Lodi Sunrise Century next weekend.