Wednesday, November 02, 2022

2022 Diablo Day 67 - Wednesday Junction

 Charlie suggested 1230 start time - weather was in the forecast but we risked it. Once we got going, I was thinking we were going to get dumped on, but it never got worse than a light drizzle - turned out to be great riding weather.  Some guys coming down shouted to us that the rain was heavy up ahead... it wasn't.

The pavement was wet though and I am seriously spooked about slippery stuff these days -- there were only a couple places where I needed to hold back.

Before The Bump, I made an effort because my knee felt kinda good - then I had a big gap and held it for a long time. At The Washout I was out of the saddle, not pushing too hard, and suddenly I ghost-shifted and my left foot went straight down and my chain skidded across the top of whatever gear it was supposed to be in and I panicked just a little but my bike handling skills kicked into automatic and everything was fine. 

Last week I bonked at Junction minus two, so I figured my objective today was to bonk less and later. I definitely got tired, but not wasted.  Charlie caught me at Clavicle Cracker and JB passed me after Chainbuster... but we all finished in about a 2-minute window.

Descending was chilly and a little wetter and even windy - I enjoyed it - a little of that old Flahute toughness started to flow in my veins again.

Half the sky was dark - and the road was pointed that way.



I told this guy to tell Charlie that I was WAY FAR AHEAD and he'd never catch me. Charlie told me later what he said and it was embellished into a righteous taunting.


Charlie Passed Fast


No comments: