Saturday, March 06, 2004

Diablo Junction plus Blackhawk 40 miles

Rick, JB, and I met 8 at the Gate. This was my first ride in two weeks and the first time since last Thanksgiving that I’ve been on my Klein and the weather promised to be great so I was pumped for a super ride. I even had a big bowl of oatmeal for brekkie and wore my wind vest instead of my Barrier Jacket, which turned out to be the perfect clothing for this morning.

Wildlife Encounter: A calf on the road at Moss Landing. Not aggressive but he was scared and could have trampled us if he felt threatened.

We passed about a dozen other folks going up North Gate – all different sorts of people and all cycling abilities. Rick and JB started doing 30-second intervals but I didn’t join in because I thought we were going to summit so I wanted to hold back some. They both beat me by a minute or so, but JB said his legs were quivering so he was really digging to do that.

At the Junction Rick said he wanted to do the Primavera Century this year. I’ve been thinking the same thing because they’ve changed the route since we last did it. It looks pretty challenging and it fits in perfectly on my calendar.

JB asked us what we wanted to do from here and Rick said he wanted to do the Summit. I said I was up for anything but JB pretty much insisted on doing South Gate and around (I’m not sure why he asked us because he’d already made up his mind). I said I was looking forward to making JB’s legs quiver some more so down we went with me in front and I was descending like “Il Falco” on my Klein with the confidence-inspiring Pro Race tires. We were pretty much all together at the bottom (me still in front) and we bombed down Blackhawk Road. I decided my goal would be to crest every single climb in first place all the way home (but I didn’t tell anyone else about my plans). I was totally “no chaining” all the way on Blackhawk, Tassajara, Camino Diablo, and La Gonda: neither Rick nor JB could stay on my wheel and after every little incline (which I DID crest first) I politely slowed to wait for them. We saw the “House of Pain” ride on Tassajara – about 30 Cat 2’s and better on their way out to Livermore… impressive group. On the north side of Danville my wife called me on the mobile phone and I stopped to take it… when I caught back up JB asked “Did you tell her how badly you’re dusting us?”. I continued to set a punishing pace on Danville Blvd and all the way back to Walnut Creek.

JB went home but Rick and I stopped for the season’s first Jamba Juice in downtown WC.

Later in the day I took my daughter down the street to practice riding her two-wheeler and after that the whole family went for another 12 mile ride on the trails to Arborado Park. It was a superb entry into spring!

I’m riding the Tour de Cure charity ride for the American Diabetes Association. Please visit my sponsorship page and donate $5 – I’d really appreciate it. Thanks. Scott