Monday, January 15, 2018

Bonus Post - New Wheel Build

This post documents my new wheel build.  105 hubs, DT Champion spokes, and HED Belgium tubular rims.

Building wheels is one of those really satisfying bike mechanic kind of tasks, and this build was exceptionally rewarding.

Shopped around to be frugal, but I knew what I wanted.  Here's the statistics:


The pro wheel build I got from Excel Sport Boulder a few years ago for my Klein was $600, so I saved quite a bit off of that... mostly in the hubs.

For fun, I did an interesting spoke pattern - pulling spokes all black, pushing spokes all chrome.  It's a subtle effect... the kind of thing only people who build wheels would probably notice.

My highest recommendation to Wheelbuilder.com who accommodated my unusual order for spoke blend, and allowed me to modify the order late when I realized I'd ordered long nipples by mistake.  You get a 10 on the Diablo Scott Spoke Supplier rating scale.


I've been wanting these rims for a long time - now was the time.  They're a little wider than most tubular rims, so that means better gluing and nicer riding.




No eyelets or ferrules... usually something I would want... I changed my mind.





Machined surface for rim brakes.


The contact profile is much curvier than my previous tubular rims.






Four different spoke types for my special pattern.
I don't have a tensionometer - I go by feel and sound.

One thing a craftsman does is put the valve hole pointing at the hub label - success.







When I got done, I put on the first layer of glue.  I'd always been a "baggie on the finger" kind of guy, but this time I got some glue brushes from the hardware store - I like this method a lot better - great coverage, no slop, and no mess.









Plenty of life left in the tires I took off my GL330s - but I rotated the rear and the spare.

















Geez, these are pretty.


Here you can see the interesting spoke pattern.






Belgium wheels for a Belgian bike.



















1 comment:

Curtis Corlew said...

That's a very interesting spoke idea. I hope ito see it in person some day. Nice job!