Saturday, January 08, 2022

2022 Diablo Day 03

Today is about 3 days shy of ONE YEAR since I broke my patella.

JB suggested a 10 AM at the Gate start time. That worked out very well.

Early morning I was getting my bike stuff ready, before taking Ursa to the dog park, and I immediately noticed I had a rear tire garage flat.  

I had two thoughts - 1) I waited too long to change that worn out old tire, and 2) am I still going to make the ride?

I inspected and found a TINY little piece of wire in the almost worn out tread. So I crafted my plan. I removed the wire bit, took off the rear wheel and put it in my truing stand, and put some Stan's in the tire and pressurized it and spun it around. I don't remember when I bought the bottle of Stan's, but I'm glad it was still good. I figured if the tire was still good when I got back from the dog park I could ride it, and if not, I could put on my clincher spare wheels.



Stan's worked, and the tire was good for the whole ride. So now my new plan is to find time to do a big maintenance and glue on some new ones, and it better be pretty soon.

10AM at the Gate start, not terribly cold. I went for a couple of hard efforts; the knee didn't hurt and it felt good to incorporate some muscle fibers that had been underused for a while, but I didn't have the endurance to push it for more than a few minutes at a time. This also worked out well because JB wasn't feeling great so we were going about the same pace anyway.

Met a guy with a really nice Santana tandem at Junction. We talked about disc brakes and epic rides.

Listening to all the rushing water in the creeks and culverts was a nice flourish on a nice day. Normalcy is coming, amigos.













No comments: