Saturday, June 30, 2018

2018 SMR 25

Before I start, I want to tell you about this photo site that I found by a Diablo hiker/photographer and it's just photos and they are amazing in quality and composition, and they're all about Diablo.  Please go check him out - here's a couple examples:

ExploreDiablo.com




OK, now for today's ride.  Well, first (or second?) about last night... there was a pretty big fire on Lime Ridge and a lot of home owners up there had to evacuate and it was pretty scary, so I was ready for any emergency situation that might arise.  Everything was fine though, and people are a little jumpy but everyone's being careful.  NEWSFLASH - another fire closes Ygnacio Valley Road about noon today, hooboy!

As me and JB got started, we discussed the severe winds from last week (that cut our ride short at Juniper) and he said the wind was bad at The Summit today too.  It was really nice on NGR though and we had an enjoyable trip to Junction.

Then I check the Mount Diablo App and sure enough - Summit has 35 mph winds with gusts to 45 mph.  I said (just like last week), "I reserve the right to re-evaluate at Juniper" but he said "How about a Bump de Bump?"  That sounded like a fine idea - I don't even remember the last time I rode up SGR.  EDIT - October 2016!




One of these guys said "Nice Klein" as I passed... then I slowed down to let him have a good look.


A bunch of MTBers were not being very careful entering the roadway from Rock City.

That reminds me, garbage day is on The Fourth of July. 
Nancy!  Probably her last training ride before the Death Ride... nah, probably not.




This guy had an electric-assist hand cycle... way cool.



You know, South Gate Road is so easy, it barely qualifies as a bike ride.  Check out how I can even stay with this semi-pro racer guy:





No comments: