Saturday, March 12, 2022

2022 Diablo Day 19 - Saturday Junction

Really nice and warm - no tights or arm warmers. Felt like I could've done a Juniper today, but too much other stuff going on.

JB was kind of late at The Gate so I started up with regular rider Kasters; he is originally from Belarus and had some interesting perspective on the Russian hostilities... doesn't think sanctions will work.  He said his daughter is a US citizen but was in Prague when COVID broke out and she couldn't get home even though she was pregnant and his grandson was born in Prague and then couldn't get a US passport... what a mess. Then he said his father died of COVID in a nursing home in Florida so he had lots of stories. Also I noticed he wasn't riding in his usual sandals and he said he had some kind of foot injury and couldn't ride in sandals anymore.  He also said he recently put on a rear blinkie light and he thinks the cars are passing him wider than they used to. Then we discussed knees and joint injuries and bicycle repairs. Then his daughter called his cell phone so he pulled off.

I didn't see JB until Junction but he said I was in his sights when we started off - he just never caught up to us.

I met a guy named Dan at Junction and we were both wearing our Cal jerseys and he gladly posed for a double Cal Jersey Autoblog, but I musta not had my camera on, so my readers will have to imagine the awesomeness that such a photo woulda presented.

Also there was a guy with a Ukraine bicycle jersey at Junction - I didn't talk with him but lots of other people were expressing their solidarity and concern; his family was from Ukraine and he bought the jersey on a trip to Ukraine a while back. It looked like the jersey that the national team wears to the World Championship events.

And finally there was another guy at Junction who rode up with his dog in a trailer.

The poppies are still blooming and The Mountain is full of life and color.


Kasters.  I don't know what he keeps in those panniers.


I figured this rider was Dutch because she was tall, blonde, and had an orange jersey.




Electric handcycle guy rode circles around me.

Dutch lady rode circles around me too, except even faster.


Dog trailer guy.

Slava Ukraina







No comments: