Tuesday, July 04, 2023

2023 Diablo Day 31 - Independence Day Junction. Turnout Pledge Ride #5.

The Mount Diablo Cyclists are fund raising for more bike turnouts! I have pledged to donate $5 for every time I ride Diablo until the end of September; won't you join me?  The State of California will MATCH our donations! Here's the link - tell them DiabloScott sent you.  

LINK->  Bike Turnouts


Too much work on the table to take off today AND tomorrow, so when Rick texted asking me to join his group for a Diablo ride on the 4th of July, I decided that was a good idea. I wore my Tour de France jersey and USA flag socks.

I was expecting a big group, but only one other guy came - Patrick got a flat tire at the Tire Poppers so we waited for him to fix it. We were a little concerned that he didn't find a thorn or anything but he did do a good inspection before he put in a new tube.  We joked about flats coming in threes of course. Then about a mile up the road his rear went soft AGAIN - so he put in another new tube but decided not to risk going on and called for a ride home.

That means me and Rick rode to Junction together. We stayed together out of his generosity and my tactic of asking short questions that required long replies so I could breathe while he answered. Then I gave him some training tips for his upcoming Masters National Championships in August... so that Stars & Stripes jersey is practically in the bag.

Weather was IDEAL! Temperature, humidity, wind, air quality... all perfect. At Junction we talked about Le Tour, gravel bikes, and road rash.



For a few minutes we were like an early breakaway in a mountain stage.


This was a "no drop" ride.







No comments: