Wednesday, July 19, 2023

2023 Diablo Day 34 - Wednesday Junction. Turnout Pledge Ride #8.

The Mount Diablo Cyclists are fund raising for more bike turnouts! I have pledged to donate $5 for every time I ride Diablo until the end of September; won't you join me?  The State of California will MATCH our donations! Here's the link - tell them DiabloScott sent you.  

LINK->  Bike Turnouts

I suggested a 2pm meet-up... just for my own personal schedule but I didn't think it was going to be too hot. Charlie was good with that too. This was my first ride of the summer where I used sun screen - because I probably should've used sun screen on my previous ride and my neck skin is feeling a little tender. I've got a little spray bottle of sunscreen somewhere that's good for a jersey pocket... I've gotta find that... but in the mean time I have a big spray bottle of SPF 30 and a tube of SPF 50 which is a little like thick lotion for my face.

So within the first 15 minutes of climbing I started to get a stomach ache... probably a combination of that coffee flavored Perpetuem and the heat. I thought I might have to stop and take a break, which would've been OK because Charlie had already shed me. But after a while the heat got to me enough that I didn't have enough energy for a stomach ache. 

At Junction we took a good long break, talked about Le Tour and old cars. Charlie reminded me that it was 10 years ago that he gave me an international television shout out from Alpe d'Huez! I still had that sign in my garage until a few months ago.

 

Back at home, I started to feel some leg cramps coming on, so I drank a free sample of Hammer Recoverite that I've had sitting around - I don't know if it worked but it didn't do any harm, and it tasted kind of like a vanilla milkshake with a little anti-freeze mixed in. The directions said to drink it immediately after exersise.









I'm hot - are you hot?

San Ramon has perhaps the best bike lanes in California.


1 comment:

JK said...

Leg cramps--takes some Tums. IMO Scratch Recovery drink is better than Hammers. I do use Perpetum and dump a shot of Hammergel in there before freezing 1/3-2/3 of the bottle weather dependent.