Wednesday, August 09, 2023

2023 Diablo Day 40 - Wednesday Junction. Turnout Pledge Ride #14.

The Mount Diablo Cyclists are fund raising for more bike turnouts! I have pledged to donate $5 for every time I ride Diablo until the end of September; won't you join me?  The State of California will MATCH our donations! Here's the link - tell them DiabloScott sent you.  

LINK->  Bike Turnouts

Charlie said he was recovering but not ready for a Diablo Day, so just me again.

It was a little warmer than I was expecting, but not warmer than I was prepared for. 

Roadkill Report:  That raccoon was still there on Blackhawk Road, and the olfactory impact was notably more offensive.

Did a good hard ride and finished with my best time of the year (actually even better than that, but I decided it's not really fair (or useful or encouraging) to compare my current self to my younger self so mostly I look at the "My Results-This Year" category. 

On the way home, I ran over a piece of lumber and was concerned I'd get a flat tire, or worse. But I kept going and everything seemed fine. Then when I was waiting for the light at my final left turn, I heard something go "sprong" and I looked back at my rear derailleur and saw a big mess of broken cable and housing. No photos because (I didn't realize but) my DiabloCam was also suffering from some kind of glitch.

Anyway, I limped the rest of the way home in the wrong gear, walked the dog, tossed the bike in the truck and then went to Trek Bicycle Alamo for the repair. I hadn't been there for service before, but their website said they had 24-hour turnaround on repairs and they also sponsor the Diablo Bike Turnout project so they earned some of my business. My repair adviser quickly and thoroughly went over the details and then said it'd be next week because they closed their other location and now had twice the number of customers. Good thing I've got my winter bike for a backup. Anyway, very nice place, I'll give them a review when I get the Klein back.



August has been a good month so far.





I decided I could spare just enough energy to give this guy a thumb wave.









It's always a little more satisfying when the effort results in a good number.


No comments: