Wednesday, August 16, 2023

2023 Diablo Day 42 - Wednesday Junction. Turnout Pledge Ride #16.

The Mount Diablo Cyclists are fund raising for more bike turnouts! I have pledged to donate $5 for every time I ride Diablo until the end of September; won't you join me?  The State of California will MATCH our donations! Here's the link - tell them DiabloScott sent you.  

LINK->  Bike Turnouts

On Monday I went to renew my library card and very pleasantly surprised that one of the designs available was Mount Diablo with poppies! Go get yours.


It was hot today, I should've gone a little earlier, but I got to Junction about 11:00 and it was 93°F. Too hot for anything faster than a "no nonsense" pace. The heat definitely was affecting my performance - heart rate was as fast as if I were going hard, but I wasn't. Garmin estimated I sweated 2 liters of fluid out! I took a LONG break at Junction and refilled my bottle from the spigot.

1028 calories burned = I deserve a pizza.

Alamo Trek did a great job fixing my derailleur cable repair - shifting was perfect. They deserve more business. I'll check them out when it's time for new handlebar tape or something.

Today's prep included CBD cream on my knee, Voltaren on my knee, Icy Hot on my knee, and sunscreen everywhere else. Two ibuprofens and two E-caps. Bottles started off frozen... that didn't last long. After I got home I had no knee pain and no sunburn and no cramps - I was just tired and hot. Then my smart watch's emergency alert alarm went off and I thought it was a car alarm at first. I don't even know what triggered it because I was stopped and preparing to walk my bike in the door... weird. I disabled that function - I'll rely on my fans to recognize an actual emergency if I ever have one.

All kinds of unique characters on The Mountain this morning, and all kinds of bikes.

Hotter than it looks.

Cathy P hit her 1,000,000 ft elevation for the year today, and I was there.













No comments: